Industrial and Other Non Metallic Minerals
In the State Rajasthan, 2.99 million tonnes of resources have been estimated to be present there. Important deposits of barytes are present in the districts of Udaipur and Alwar. In Udaipur, it is found near the village Relpatliya where about 1 million tonnes of resources has been estimated. In Bundi, it is found in the Umar area where 1650 tonnes of resources has been estimated.
- Barytes is used as a weighting agent for drilling fluids in the oil and gas mining industry to suppress high pressures formed while mining and prevent an explosion.
- Baryte is also used for drilling petroleum wells acting as a smoothening agent while drilling.
- Some other uses of Baryte is value addition in applications that acts as a filler in paint and plastics, sound reduction in engines, coat of automobile finishes for smoothness and corrosion resistance.
A total of 10.39 million tonnes of calcite supplies have been estimated in the state of Rajasthan. The important deposits are found in Belka Pahar, Khila in Sirohi area, Dhinkali, Gayphal and Rabcha in Udaipur region, Dwarikapur and Nazar in Jaipur region, Maonda and Raipur in Sikar area and Khera Tarla, Dhinkali, Gharta Gayphal, Rabach, Daulatgarh, Teja ka Was, Amalda, and Jetpura in Bhilwara region.
- Ancient Egyptians made many items out of calcite, relating it to their goddess Bast, whose name contributed to the term alabaster because of the close association. Many other ancient generations have used the material for similar carving purposes.
Kaolin is a popularly known resource in the state of Rajasthan. The important locations of clay deposits are the Sawa region of Udaipur, Bikaner region, Pali region, Nagaur region, Barmer district, Bhilwara region, Chittorgarh region, Jaipur region, Bundi region, Karoli district, Sawai Madhopur region, Sikar region, Ajmer region, and Jodhpur region.
- Lanolin is mainly used in the production of paper, its main purpose is to act as glossing material on paper.
- Kaolin is used in ceramics, toothpaste, cosmetics, organic farming and many other small industries. Kaolin also acts as a good skin-protecting substance for the Beauty & Skincare industry.
A total of 600 million tonnes of Dolomite deposits are estimated to be found in the state of Rajasthan. The important Dolomite deposits are Ajmer, Mandal, Bhilwara, Chittorgarh, Kotputli, Manwa Ramgarh, Jaipur, Chacha, Jaisalmer, Indo-ki-Dhani, Indolai-ka-Talab, Rathore-ka-Dhora Jodhpur, Udaipur, Iswal, and Seemal, Achhibaori, Odan-Lal Madri, Ghodach, Haldi Ghati, Nerach, Rajsamand.
- Dolomite is used as an ornamental stone, which is used while making precious high-end jewellery, and a concrete aggregate used in the construction of big structures.
Rajasthan is a major producer of Feldspar in India. Ajmer region is the major producer of feldspar in the State. Other important producers of feldspar are Rajsamand, Bhilwara, Pali, Tonk, Sikar regions. Other small producers of Feldspar are from Sirohi, Dungarpur, Chittorgarh, Udaipur, and Jaipur districts.
- Feldspar acts as a common raw material used in glassware items, ceramics, and acts as a filler and in paint, plastics, and rubber.
- It is also used in the ceramic industry which provides shine & strength.
Emerald deposits are found from Gam Gurha in the Rajsamand region to Bubani and Muhami in the Ajmer region. The major regions where Emerald is found are Rajgarh, Tikhi & Kalaguman (Rajsamand) area in Rajasthan. The presence of Emerald minerals is highly irregular and variable.
- Emeralds act as jewellery stones in the ornament industry. It is used for emotional and mental powers. Many believe that wearing an Emerald will provide willpower, mental clarity and easing of stressed states. Emerald is also related to increasing love, inspiration, wisdom, harmony, growth, peace and abundance.
The important mines of fluorite in Rajasthan are found in Mando ki pal, Kahila in the Dungarpur region. In Karaka, Jalore region & Chowkri-Chapoli, Sikar area supplies are major suppliers of Fluorite minerals from Rajasthan.
- There are three main uses of Fluorite. industrial use for natural fluorite is mainly referred to as fluorspar in industries. Co-relating to different grades of purity. Secondly, it is traditionally been used as a flux to decrease the melting point of raw materials in the steel production industry. Acts as an aid in the removal of impurities.
Rajasthan was the dominant producer of Gem and abrasive variety of garnet till the year 2005. Garnet mining is done in the area of Udaipur, Ajmer, Bhilwara, Rajsamand and Tonk region covering a major stretch of around 250 km. Most precious gem varieties are found in the Tonk region belt starting from Kalyanpur to Rajmahal. Polishing materials are found in Bhilwara and Rajsamand region.
- Garnets were commonly used as gemstones during the ancient time, as a precious item.
- Garnet acts as the good abrasive material and a common alternative for silica sand in blasting. Garnet grains are rounder and more suitable for such blasting processes. Lastly, it can be mixed with high-pressure water and used to cut steel and other raw materials.
Rajasthan alone accounts for around 80% of deposits of gypsum in the country India. The State continues to be the major producer of gypsum, contributing 99% of total output. The entire production of Selenite is from Rajasthan State. Gypsum deposits are found in the districts of Nagaur, Barmer, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Hanumangarh, Shri Ganganagar, and Jalore.
- Gypsum is used in home decoration commonly known as Plaster of Paris(POP) and acts as a finishing substance on walls.
- Commonly used as Fertilizers and a soil conditioner acts as a healthy assistant in the growth of crops.
In the state of Rajasthan, major deposits of Lignite are found in areas in the Barmer-Sanchore, Jaisalmer and Nagaur basins which fall in Barmer, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Nagaur and Jalore region. Lignite is being found in regions like Giral (Barmer, Barmer, Palana-Barsinghsar (Bikaner) and Mata Sukh-Kasnau-Igiyar (Nagaur) for Lignite based power plants and captivative use. Lignite based plants for generating electricity are operating at Kapurdi-Jalipa (Barmer), Giral (Barmer), Palana-Barsinghsar (dist. Bikaner) and Gurha (dist. Bikaner).
- Most lignite is used in generating electricity. Small amounts are used in the agriculture, gems & jewellery industry. It's historically used as fuel for home heating.
- In agriculture it is used as a microorganism which leads to the generation of healthy crops.