Glazes are primarily used to enhance the visual appeal of ceramic pieces. They come in a wide range of colours, finishes, and textures, allowing potters and ceramists to achieve various artistic effects. Glazes can create glossy, matte, satin, or textured surfaces and they can be transparent or opaque. In the ceramic industry, kaolin clay (often simply referred to as "kaolin") is a fundamental and versatile raw material used in the production of ceramics, including pottery, porcelain, tiles, and sanitary ware. Its primary role in the ceramic industry is as a key component in both clay bodies and glaze formulations.
Why Kaolin is used for Glaze?
Kaolin, a type of clay mineral, is commonly used in pottery and ceramics as a key ingredient in glaze formulations. Here's how kaolin is used in glaze preparation:
- Glaze Suspension: Kaolin is added to glaze recipes to act as a suspending agent. It helps to evenly disperse other glaze materials and prevents settling during storage. This ensures that the glaze remains consistent in composition and can be easily applied to pottery or ceramics.
- Adhesion: Kaolin improves the adhesion of the glaze to the surface of the ceramic piece. It helps the glaze adhere firmly to the pottery or ceramic body, preventing it from running off during firing and ensuring a smooth, even finish.
- Texture and Opacity: Depending on its particle size and type, kaolin can influence the texture and opacity of the glaze. For example, fine particle kaolin can produce a glossy, smooth glaze surface, while coarser particle kaolin can create a matte or satin finish. The choice of kaolin type and amount can be adjusted to achieve the desired glaze texture and opacity.
- Thermal Expansion: Kaolin contributes to the overall thermal expansion of the glaze. By carefully controlling the type and amount of kaolin in the glaze recipe, potters and ceramists can tailor the glaze to match the thermal expansion of the ceramic body, reducing the risk of glaze cracking or crazing during firing.
- Color Development: While kaolin itself is typically white or off-white, it can influence the color development of the glaze when used in conjunction with other colorants. It can enhance the vibrancy of certain glaze colors and act as a modifier to achieve specific hues.
- Glaze Stability: Kaolin can enhance the stability of glaze recipes, preventing undesirable reactions between glaze ingredients during firing. It helps maintain the chemical and physical integrity of the glaze.
- Environmental and Health Considerations: Kaolin is a natural, non-toxic material, making it a safe choice for glaze formulation in terms of both environmental impact and health concerns.
Above are some key reason which is why Kaolin is so popular among ceramic industry worldwide.
Quality Kaolin for Glaze Application
If you are looking for quality kaolin for glaze application then your search ends here with ZSM product range. We have been supplying glaze grade kaolin to various parts of the world. Whether you are looking fine particle size or high plasticity we can provide product as per your demand. We understand that particle size of kaolin particles significantly impacts glaze texture and appearance and hence we have developed product with different -2 micron particle sizes. Our products particle size distribution remains consistent and matches the intended glaze effect. Our high-alumina products can increase glaze viscosity, contributing to thicker coatings and potential matte finishes. To know more about our Kaolin Product range please visit -
Why to Choose ZSM for Glaze Grade Kaolin?
We have earned reputation of leading Kaolin supplier from India because of our USPs. As a well-known kaolin company from India we often emphasize to distinguish ourselves in the market with our R&D based approach. However you have numerous reasons to choose ZSM as a Kaolin supplier for your need –
- Wide range of glaze grade kaolin products
- Global sourcing and distribution network
- Quality assurance
- Technical expertise on glaze grade kaolin
- Competitive pricing
- Innovation and research on new Glaze products
Our market focus and current customer pool is fully satisfied with our glaze products and constantly buying glaze grade kaolin from us. We are flexible in our approach and can provide you neutral packing as well.
The Final Say!
The specific requirements for kaolin in a glaze formulation may vary depending on the desired glaze effect, firing temperature, and intended use of the glaze. Ceramists and glaze technicians often conduct tests and adjustments to optimize the kaolin's contribution to the glaze's appearance, texture, and performance.